Saturday, February 23, 2013
Week 8- McLean (Initial)
While exploring the readings for Week 8, I thought it was interesting to see all the different comprehension types and strategies to use for young children. When reflecting back on my own reading comprehension process, it makes me wish that comprehension was explicitly taught to me by my teachers when I was younger. I think it could have benefitted me as a reader and as student, in all areas. As a student, I think I fell into the category that Applegate creates called "Politicians" because I tried to come up with what the teacher wanted to hear, rather than using my own analytical thinking. By being able to identify students with these categories, I think it helps teachers to be able to narrow their instruction strategies. Therefore, a teacher is better able to create opportunities to benefit students, that could overlap into multiple categories, and assist students in their comprehension abilities. I really liked a quote by Applegate that says, "If we can remove some of the obstacles to thoughtful literacy that our students experience, it stands to reason that we can offer them more opportunities for engaged reading" (Applegate, p.56). I think this quote is profound in saying that providing strategies for students to better comprehend allows them to be more engaged readers. Furthermore, by looking at the Gregory & Cahill article, I noticed how important it is to use visual and active strategies with young children. I really liked the ideas of drawing out what a schema means and explicitly defining what visualization and inferring are to children. This allows them to make "mental movies" and "merge information" to make connections. I think this type of language and structure with children is very beneficial to their comprehension development in the classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment