Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week 9 - Widzinski

After working on and thinking about our new literacies project, I have started to think about literacy a little differently. The definition of literacy is simple: the ability to read and write. I think the definition needs to change and include technology in some way. Today's students are so wrapped up in some form of technology, whether its on a cell phone, computer or tablet, and literacy is being done via these forms of technology. Technology has so many different aspects that we have been learning about all semester (cultural, visual, etc.). A teacher needs to be prepared to teach all different forms of literacy. One way I think that would be beneficial to teach literacies is by using the smartboard. I have been introduced to this technology this year in my placement for the first time and I believe by utilizing the smartboard to its full potential can really help teach literacy to students. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of everything a smartboard can do, but from what I've seen, from the different apps it offers and its capability to connect to the internet, it seems like a useful technological tool. In thinking about the technology that we are using for our project (weebly), I can say that I love weebly! It is such an easy to use site and I think teachers can use this technology to their advantage, especially in teaching literacy. The most effective way for teachers literacy instruction is to base lessons off of what interests your students most, and including technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment