Sunday, January 13, 2013

Week 2 Post - Widzinski

Goals for the semester:
- Learn effective ways to engage all students in literacy in the classroom
- Practice new and upcoming methods learned in class in my placement
- Learn techniques and skills to support children who are at various developmental levels.
- Talk to my MT more about her literacy beliefs and how she practices those in the classroom.

In what type of school and community context do you hope to teach?
(Same as Julia!)
- globally diverse (different races, cultures, languages, income levels, etc)
- where teachers have the opportunity to work as a team with their grade level (would like to experience co-teaching)
- where parents are supported and encouraged to participate in the classroom and/or school environment (I would like parent volunteers as often as possible and for there to be a strong home-to-school connection)

What do you want to learn about literacy instruction to help you reach your goals?
- how to include families in the home-to-school connection in bringing literacy into the student's homes.
- how to approach a variety of families to talk to them about their child and their literacy development
- how to make children excited about literacy more independently (through intrinsic motivation)
- how literacy should be structured in the classroom (i.e., time of day taught, how long taught, materials available in the classroom, etc.)

How do the jigsaw articles you read for today help you think about the kind of teacher you want to be?
I read the Lester and Lenski articles.
- I enjoyed the idea of virtual field trips. I rarely think about field trips right now, and as I am beginning to think about them more, the more I realize how beneficial they are to learning
- I want to have my students feel a part of the community - this is something I lacked as a student myself
- I want to feel confident when teaching ELL students
- I want to use authentic assessments for ELL students, and am anxious to begin discovering what assessments these will be
- I want to be able to communicate in a successful way to my ELL families

No comments:

Post a Comment